Are you moving forward or are you just spinning… whether in your mind or on your hamster wheel?
More and more, I am hearing about fear. My blog post last week referred to Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert, and how people let fear prevent them from living their best life.
I had a client meeting a couple of weeks ago with a man who wants to change his career path. He didn’t know where to start. And he admitted to his fear of starting.
Most people who come to see me are stuck. Whether or not they chalk it up to fear, they need help getting started and finding their path to live a life that is more satisfying.
If you are thinking about making a change, whether that is switching careers, trying to get more exercise, or developing a more productive relationship with stress, coaching may be able to help. Often, people are overwhelmed trying to incorporate something new into their lives. This is where a coach may be able to help.
Thinking of making a change? Ask a lot of questions.
Regardless of what your new beginning is, start by making it tangible. You can ask yourself a number of questions whether or not you want to partner with a coach.
- What do you want to do and why?
- Why is this important to you?
- How important is it for you? (If it isn’t important enough, you won’t prioritize it).
- HOW will you do it? Brainstorm for a few days and see what comes up.
- Create a SMART goal around it (Specific, Meaningful/Measurable, Action-Oriented, Realistic/Relevant, Time-Bound).
- What ONE action will you start with?
- When will you start? How often will you do it? What time of day?
- What else will compete for your time and energy? Plan B?
- How will you ensure it gets done? Accountability?
It’s one big experiment
Starting something new is challenging, and once you start, each day will be an experiment. But that is what life is…one big experiment. How would you like to spend the time you have on this planet? You live to figure out what you like and what you don’t, what makes you feel good and what doesn’t, what is meaningful and what isn’t.
Coaching is all about you figuring out the answers to the three most important questions.
- What is the life that you really want?
- Why is that meaningful to you?
- And what needs to go away to make more space for what nourishes you?
Working with a coach provides the process, structure, and guidance to help you get unstuck, find your confidence, and figure out this path. While at first the new behavior feels challenging and forced, performing the action repeatedly, consistently, and mindfully causes a magical shift to happen in the brain: it “re-wires” itself so that the behavior becomes automatic. The goal is to help you get from where you are to where you want to be. And have a partner to help you navigate the road in between. If you would like to learn more about coaching, working with me, or the services I offer, contact me at email@example.com.